Community Health Plan of Washington Individual and Family Cascade Select Plans Community Health Plan of Washington Individual and Family Cascade Select Plans

Mental Health and SUD Treatment

Important Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Treatment Information

You do a lot for others, and sometimes that can feel like a lot, too. Seeing a behavioral health provider can be a great way to get the support that everyone needs at some time or other.

Here’s what you need to know if you’re thinking of seeing a behavioral health provider:

You can get help right now.

If you or a loved one are experiencing a behavioral health emergency, these behavioral health emergency and crisis help lines are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and are totally confidential. You can call even if you’re not sure whether your situation is an emergency, or if you’re concerned about a loved one.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

The Lifeline provides free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.

Washington Recovery Help Line

Recovery Help Line is an anonymous and confidential help line that provides free crisis intervention and referral services for individuals in the State of Washington. They can provide emotional support, as well as suggest local treatment resources and community services.

Local Crisis Helplines

If you or a loved one are in distress or struggling with depression, suicidal thoughts, substance abuse, or anxiety, help is available whenever you need it. A local crisis helpline gives you free and confidential support regardless of insurance coverage or status, and can connect you with a Designated Crisis Responder (DCR) in your area if necessary.

Crisis Contacts by County





CHPW Nurse Advice Line

CHPW Individual & Family members have access to free advice from professional nurses at 1-866-418-2920 (TTY: Dial 711). You can call the Nurse Advice Line if you are in distress or struggling with your behavioral health.

You have the right to get behavioral health care on your schedule.

Your behavioral health is important. CHPW has a responsibility to ensure that you get the care you need in a timely way. When you request an appointment for covered behavioral health and/or substance use disorder treatment services, an appointment must be made available to you within 10 to 15 days, depending on the type of care you need.

Type of Care When an appointment will be available to you
Primary Care
(care for which you do not need a referral)
Within 10 days
Specialty Care
(care for which you do need a referral)
Within 15 days


After 10 to 15 days, CHPW is required to assist with helping you make an appointment. Contact us at 1-866-907-1906 (TTY: 711) if you’re having trouble getting care.

Your behavioral health care is covered.

As a Community Health Plan of Washington (CHPW) member, you don’t need a referral to see a Behavioral Health Provider. That means you have the right to choose any in-network provider for your behavioral health or substance use care. CHPW supports many different types of behavioral health services to ensure that providers can deliver the best care for your needs. Talk with your provider to find out which service might be best for you:

  • Outpatient mental health treatment
  • Screening for mental health or substance use issues
  • Inpatient detoxification for alcohol and substance use disorders
  • Opiate substitution treatment services
  • Residential services for mental health and substance use disorders
  • Medication for alcohol, substance use disorders, or mental health issues
  • Medically necessary psychiatric hospitalization
  • Medication management and monitoring
  • Individual and family treatment
  • Crisis stabilization services
  • American Indian or Alaskan Native Tribal Health Care

Primary care providers can support your behavioral health too. Community Health Centers and many of our primary care providers have behavioral health specialists in the clinic so they can help support your behavioral health needs as well as your physical health needs.

If you’re having trouble getting in to see a provider for any reason, please contact CHPW at 1-866-907-1906 (TTY: 711). We can help you find a Behavioral Health Provider.

Case managers can help you manage your behavioral health needs.

Case management is covered for every CHPW member. Our case managers can help you schedule and keep appointments, manage medication, and more.

➔ Learn more about case managers


An ombuds is a person who is an available option to provide free and confidential assistance with resolving concerns related to your behavioral health services. They can help if you have a behavioral health grievance, appeal, or fair hearing to resolve your concerns at the lowest possible level. The ombuds is independent of your health plan. The ombuds is a person who has had behavioral health services, or a person whose family member has had behavioral health services.

Use the phone numbers below to contact an ombuds in your area:

Click to See the Ombuds Phone List

Counties Ombuds
Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Lewis, Pacific, Wahkiakum 1-833-721-6011
Asotin, Benton, Columbia, Franklin, Garfield, Kittitas, Walla Walla, Whitman, Yakima 1-833-783-9444
King 1-800-790-8049
Chelan, Douglas, Grant, Okanogan 1-800-572-4459
Island, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, Whatcom 1-888-336-6164
Pierce 1-800-531-0508
Clallam, Jefferson, Kitsap 1-888-377-8174
Adams, Ferry, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens 1-866-814-3409
Clark, Klickitat, Skamania 1-800-696-1401
Thurston, Mason 1-800-658-4105


If you are unhappy with how CHPW has treated you, or how one of your providers has handled your care, you can file a complaint with the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner (OIC). The OIC can advocate for you and require providers and insurers to explain their actions.

➔ Use the OIC online complaint form

You can also call the commissioner’s toll-free insurance consumer hotline at 1-800-562-6900.

The OIC publishes a statewide Annual Mental Health Access Report, which you can find on the OIC Legislative and Commissioner Reports webpage. The report identifies, by insurance carrier, the number of consumer complaints that asserted an inability to access mental health or substance use disorder services within the required timeframe.


[random_content group_id='19' num_posts='1']


Sales Team

Get real answers
from real people

Phone: 1-833-993-0181
Email: [email protected]

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.